I work primarily with models of two-dimensional shape, though recent work with students has explored models of texture. I am interested in applications of shape modeling and theoretical questions about efficiency of shape models.
Research Publications (* indicates student co-author):
- L. Cutler, A. Lerios, K. Leonard, G. Sarkis, Big Data Techniques Applied to Media and Computer Graphics Applications, to appear in High Performance Transaction Systems, 2015.
- G. Bal, et. al., Skeleton-based recognition of shapes in images via longest path matching, Research in Shape Modeling (K. Leonard and S. Tari, eds.), Springer-Verlag, May 2015.
- K. Leonard, S. Tari (eds), Research in Shape Modeling , Springer International Publishing Switzerland, 2015. (book)
- M. Feiszli, S. Kushnarev, K. Leonard, Metric spaces of shapes and applications: compression, curve matching and low-dimensional representation, Geometry, Imaging, Computing, 1(2):173-221, 2014.
- K. Leonard, D. DeSantis*, Error correction for fire growth modeling, Proceedings of the International Workshop on Agricultural and Environmental Information and Decision Support Systems (IAEIDSS 2013), Springer Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2013.
- K. Leonard, R. Strawbridge*, D. Lindsay*, R. Barata*, M. Dawson*, L. Averion*, Minimal geometric representation and strawberry stem detection, Proceedings of the International Conference of Computational Science and Applications, 2013. ( Best Paper award )
- L. Contreras*, K. Leonard, D. DeSantis*, On the geometric deformations of functions in L2[D], Involve, 6(3):233-241, 2012.
- K. Leonard. Efficient representation in spaces of plane curves. Rend. Linc. Mat. e Appl., 20(1), 2009, 69-93.
- K. Leonard, Efficient shape modeling: epsilon-entropy, adaptive coding, and Blum's medial axis versus the boundary curve, Int. J. Comp. Vis., 74, 2007, 183 - 199.
- K. Leonard, An efficiency criterion for 2D shape model selection, IEEE CVPR Proc., 1, 2006, 1289 - 1296.
- Tor A. Kwembe, Kathryn Leonard, Angel R. Pineda, Academic year undergraduate research: The CURM model, Involve, 7(3):383-394, 2014.
- K. Leonard, Adventures in undergraduate research, Notices of the AMS, December 2008.
- K. Leonard, Inside the AMS: My summer at Popular Science Magazine, Notices of the AMS, September 2001.
- K. Leonard, Digital Signatures, Popular Science Monthly Magazine, October 2000.